Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hungarian Winemaking 101


I just started a job at a college in Kecskemét, Hungary, where I will be teaching English Language, American Civilization and Media Studies. There are three main departments in the school--Early Childhood Education, Horticulture and Engineering/Technology.

In my first few days living in the brand new professor's house, I've hadthe good fortune of attending a couple of events, specifically one that highlighted the horticultural department's work. I had heard there would be a wine tasting and a lunch party and I was invited to attend.

Because I had been an importer of Hungarian wines, I was interested to see which wines and wineries would be featured at the tasting. I did not recognize the labels or bottles, but was happy to taste a Cserszegi Fűszeres and a Kékfrankos, both of which were my favorites among all of them. The Kékfrankos was not too heavy and had a smooth finish. The other reds, a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Cuvee were heavier, had more tannin feel and would have been nice accompaniments to red meat dishes or a good hard cheese.

There was a rosé, which my lack of Hungarian language skills prevented me from learning what grapes went into it. It was pretty good, but not as good as a French rosé, unfortunately for the Hungarians.

What was interesting about these wines was that they did not come from a big winery in Hungary, but they were made by the students in the horticulture department of the college. One woman told me that they were not for sale, however, an English-speaking student told me that I could buy them, and he gave me his email address to arrange for it. (Deos he sell them from his dorm room, I wonder? Just kidding.) I asked him if I could find out more about the winemaking program and what is taught to the students along with their wine marketing skills and courses. An interesting chapter for a book on Hungarian wines, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment